Friday, January 20, 2012

Soy Horseradish Tofu

Last week, I had my first Tofu Xpress experience. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is a tofu press for people like me who are grossed out by the layers of kitchen towels and heavy pots method. Anyway, you have to press the liquid out of your tofu, in order for it to absorb the flavor in which you are cooking it. In this case, soy sauce and horseradish. I was inspired by this recipe - but added the horseradish to kick it up a notch!

I pressed the tofu overnight, and then sliced it.. in hindsight, I probably would have marinated it overnight as well - or at least for a few hours. Hindsight is 20/20. I just poured the marinade over the tofu.


For the marinade, I mixed soy sauce and horseradish up. After that got on the tofu slices, I sprinkled them on both sides with sesame seeds and baked in the oven at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes on each side.

While this was a great flavor combination, I wish I would have marinated it longer.

On the side, I served a tofu noodle stir fry with some bean sprouts and an asparagus, onion, mushroom mix from Trader Joes. Delicious. Extra flavor was added with soy sauce and some spicy chili sauce. This was by far my favorite part of the meal, and ridiculously low in calories. I might make this prepared with the sesame tofu diced up next time!


Also, I made a sesame rice - I would say it turned out just 'eh.' I had quicker cooking rice than the recipe called for... so the rice got overcooked. The flavor was there though, and this would be delicious had I cooked it properly. Note to self: don't try cooking rice in the oven, just throw the ingredients in the rice maker. I did get to use my mini Fiesta casserole dishes! That was very exciting.


 I think I want to try making Italian breaded tofu next time I make it! I wonder if I mix in some nutritional yeast, if I can pretend I am eating mozzarella cheese sticks (yeah, right but a girl can dream!) I also bought tempeh and want to do something with that eventually... Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...