Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My first real 5K - Race for the Cure

Alright, so I signed up for the non-competitive portion, but we all have to start somewhere, right? I have done two other 5K's in the past, but never had the intention of trying to run one.

In my last post, I made a verbal commitment to a new life goal. I received an email today through work that they are organizing a team to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K. So I signed up! I was not going to set a goal to raise money, but I really do believe in this cause and decided to set a very small goal of raising $50.00 to go towards breast cancer awareness. Since I have this very public forum of a blog, I figure I might as well put the request out there. I frequently hear from a few loyal readers (thank you!), but I know there are more out there - so I am not sure how much of an impact I could even make. This is a great cause. One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. This is a reminder of how important it is for us women to make a commitment to health; getting regular checkups and performing self exams. Even if we aren't old enough to get mammograms... It is our job to remind our mothers, grandmothers, and other women in our lives over age 40. Prevention is part of the cure! Being aware of our own bodies is so important in keeping ourselves healthy. Speaking of, I have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow to get my skin checked out by a professional... Don't forget the importance of these doctor's appointments, please!!!

Back to Race for the Cure: from my page, you can donate via credit card. Any small amount would help me get to my goal! If you are in the Charlotte area, from this page you can also join my team for the race! You will get a shirt and some other goodies provided by my company. While I don't necessarily anticipate being able to run the entire race (I just started running in the beginning of August in case you are a new visitor), I am surely going to train in preparation (and hope for minimal hills).

Speaking of getting involved, I am thinking about joining the Young Affiliates of the Mint - basically a social club here in Charlotte. You basically are a "donor" to this museum and then become a part of this group! I think it will be a good way to meet people and get involved in the community while having fun. To anyone that is reading, what do you think of this organization? Have you ever been to any of their social events?

Ok, time to get on with my evening. Making a pasta primavera with veggies that really need to get eaten and I have my first group meeting of the semester at 9 PM. I hope it goes well - I have a good group, and we are all graduating in December so we have the same level of motivation... well, I surely hope they are all motivated more than me! But we are all in the final push to meet our end goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...