Saturday, February 11, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner

This past week, I was on a serious breakfast for dinner kick. We have been getting fresh farm eggs in our farmshare each week, and since I don't have time to fix eggs in the mornings during the week, I have been incorporating them in my dinner. We also have been getting a lot of sweet potatoes, which are something I have recently come to enjoy. A lot. I like them when prepared savory, not sweet.

Which led me to this: sweet potato hash topped with fried eggs and a side of veggie sausage


My friend Christine inspired me to make this sweet potato hash - she gets full recipe credit!

This is now one of my favorite meals to make. It's quick, easy, satisfying, and most of all, it is nutritious!

To make the sweet potato hash, I shredded up a few sweet potatoes (1 large and 1 small, to be specific), squeezed out most of the water, and set them aside. I also diced up some onion. As much or as little as you would like. I sauteed the onion on medium-low in some cooking spray until it softens and semi-caramelizes. Then I added in 1 tablespoon of light butter and let it melt. Now you are ready to add the sweet potato shreds! Turn the heat up to medium high. Spread them around evenly and then don't touch them for a few minutes! When shreds start to brown, it is time to turn them. Keep repeating this until the hash has reached your desired level of done-ness! I topped with some truffle salt (a new addition to my kitchen) for something a little extra - regular salt will do, of course and still be just as delicious.

Then I fried up two eggs (over easy/medium) and topped them with salt and pepper, and then put them on top of the hash! On the side, I served up two Morningstar veggie sausage patties. The perfect breakfast for dinner!

Christine recommends using a cast iron skillet for this meal, which I JUST purchased. I can't wait to make this again this coming week with my cast iron!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...