Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cast Iron Tofu

I am continuing to experiment with tofu, but I think I have finally found my favorite way to cook it. Sautéing it on the cast iron skillet! It gets such a good flavor, and crisps up so nicely. You really do not have to do anything with it once it comes off the skillet. Just serve with a side of veggies for a super healthy meal! 

The marinade below is my favorite way to flavor tofu, but any combination of ingredients would work well here. I have tried worcestershire sauce instead of soy. Still delicious! I also think a soy-ginger marinade would taste yummy! 



Cast Iron Tofu

Ingredients:

1 block extra-firm tofu
4 - 8 tablespoons of soy sauce
4 - 8 teaspoons of dijon mustard
1 - 2 tablespoons of fresh horseradish (optional)
Cooking spray (or oil)

Instructions:

Drain and press tofu (I prefer overnight) but at minimum 4 - 6 hours. I use the tofuxpress that I got for Christmas (thanks, Mom and Dad!). If you do not have one, here is a good blog post on how to press tofu with things you have around the house!

Mix up remaining ingredients into a marinade. This can be as thick or as thin as you want to make it based on the proportions of soy sauce to mustard to horseradish.

Slice the block of tofu in to 10 slices. I think this is the perfect thickness for skillet cooking.

Then transfer the tofu and lay each slice flat in a large dish. Pour the marinade, making sure each slice of tofu gets a good coating. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, but you can also let this sit overnight (this is a plan-ahead but really easy meal).

Pre-heat your cast iron skillet on medium. Once heated, coat the bottom of the pan with some sort of oil. I just used cooking spray. Then place the tofu in the skillet. Let cook on each side for appx. 8 - 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on it, you want to make sure you flip it once the tofu gets brown and crispy on each side!

I think this is a good serving for two, but with the right sides you could definitely stretch this to four people! I served it with a side of steamed frozen veggies and smart balance light. So delicious!

Let me know how the cast iron method of cooking tofu works for you! What are some of your favorite ways to prepare tofu? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...