Monday, November 21, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Chex Mix

I went on a Chex Mix-a-thon this weekend... I bought two boxes of Chex, pretzels, and Cheez-its in preparation for our big trip to Las Vegas this week! Homemade Chex mix always reminds me of the holidays.

I made Sweet and Spicy Chex Mix and Original. Since boxes of Chex are gigantic, with the leftover cereal, I made Muddy Buddies.


For the Original and Muddy Buddies, I got the recipes straight off the Chex boxes. I just used a little less butter in the original, and added some cayenne pepper for a kick. I used reduced-fat peanut butter for the Muddy Buddies because that is what I had on hand.


For the sweet and spicy, I made up my own recipe! It is oh-so-good and can be altered based on your tastes.

Ingredients:
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted (I used light butter)
1.5 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I used Splenda Brown Sugar, it was pretty sweet so if you like it less sweet, then I would use less - adjust to your liking!)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons of coarse or kosher salt
2-ish teaspoons of garlic - more or less to taste
2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce 
10 cups of stuff (chex, cheezits, pretzels, nuts, etc.)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

In a medium pot/pan, melt butter and add in brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt.

Drizzle over chex mix and stir until everything is coated - use extra butter if you want more topping!

Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and return to the oven for 20-30 minutes, stirring the mixture twice. Keep an eye on it... it may need more time to fully 'dry out'

Remove from the oven and let cool completely before storing in a large baggie or Rubbermaid Food Storage container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...