Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Leek and Potato Soup

While reading some blogs today, I was inspired to make some Leek and Potato soup! It has been a while since I blogged a new recipe. I wasn't sure how this one was going to turn out, but I took some pictures anyway. Lucky for all of us, it is a winner!! Low in calories and very filling. Try this for dinner tomorrow night.



Leek and Potato Soup


Ingredients:

1/2 large onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
3 medium leeks, white and light green parts chopped and rinsed
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
3 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 c. skim milk
Season to your taste: I used salt, pepper, celery salt, 
cayenne pepper, and some Zehnders all purpose seasoning



In a large soup pot, take onions and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes. Then add diced and rinsed leeks and saute for another 5 minutes. Once all of these veggies are soft, add in the potatoes and broth. Make sure that there is enough broth in the pot to cover all of the vegetables. 3 cups should do it!

Add any additional seasonings that you desire. Bring the pot to a boil and cook until the potatoes are done - 15-ish minutes? I forgot to time it...


Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from the heat and blend with the immersion blender right in the pot! Or transfer to a blender or food processor and blend it up that way. I left some 'texture' in the soup by not blending all the way. 

This recipe makes 5 hearty portions (about 2 cups each) and is a really good fall/winter comfort food recipe. Enjoy!!


Serves 5
Calories - 123, Carbs - 26, Fat - 0, Protein - 5, Fiber - 2, Sodium - 380 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...