Monday, December 12, 2011

Hungry Girl's El Ginormo Oven Baked Omelette

I have been in a breakfast rut! It's either an everything bagel thin with cream cheese or a light english muffin with sunflower butter and jelly. Someday's I splurge and get a Subway Egg White English Muffin or a Dunkin' Donuts coffee and the Veggie Flatbread.

Oatmeal is many people's go-to breakfast. Oatmeal does not satisfy me at all. When I finish it, I am just ready for more food. I am an egg gal when it comes to breakfast. This morning, I even cooked in some egg beater to my oatmeal to try and give it more protein, and was again reminded why I do not eat oatmeal. Blah. It is really difficult to get up in the morning and make breakfast though (hence the english muffin or bagel thin or take out breakfast). I also get to work around 7, and am not usually ready for breakfast until around 9 AM. So I need something that I can take to work and re-heat, or run out and pick up mid-morning.

This is where Hungry Girl comes in to the picture! She has an oven baked omelette recipe that was featured on her 'ginormous food' episode. Ginormous food?! Sign me up.

This is a HUGE oven-baked, Mexican-style, egg recipe that serves 4.



Ingredients

2 1/2 cups fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup canned sweet corn, drained
1/4 cup canned diced green chiles
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
Optional toppings: salsa, fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a deep 8" X 10" baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray lightly with nonstick spray, making sure to coat the sides as well as the bottom.

In a large bowl, combine egg substitute, milk, cumin, and taco seasoning. Whisk thoroughly.

Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and stir well. Carefully transfer egg mixture to the baking pan.

Evenly add black beans, corn, and green chiles to the pan. Sprinkle with cheese.


Bake in the oven until the top has puffed and the center is firm, about 1 hour.


Allow to cool slightly. Cut into four slices. If you like, finish off with the optional toppings!


Nutrition facts: 188 calories, 3g fat, 590mg sodium, 17g carbs, 2.5g fiber, 5g sugars, 22g protein



This carried to work and reheated really well. I packed salsa and sour cream to top my breakfast with - and I still have 3 more breakfast's for the rest of the week. How easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...