Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Healthy Breakfast Cookies

I figured making healthy breakfast cookies would be a good alternative to bringing an English muffin or something of the like on my train trip to DC. The train left Charlotte at 7 AM, and I promptly eat breakfast at 9 AM, so I had to have something mid-travel (preferably not out of the cafe car)! Chocolate Covered Katie posted a recipe for healthy breakfast cookies that I thought would fit the bill!

Of course, I had to change up the recipe a bit to make it my own. These did turn out delicious - I would eat them for breakfast, or a dessert. They weren't too sweet and had just enough peanut butter taste in them to satisfy me. My only complaint, this recipe only makes about 12 (small-ish) cookies. A serving size based on my nutrition facts would be 4 cookies. I wouldn't be able to eat JUST this for breakfast - I had a clementine with it... and then plenty of other snacks later in the day...




Here it is... Pieces of Cake's Version of Breakfast Cookies - that contain mostly healthy ingredients, just not the best caloric stats I've seen...

1/2 c. rolled oats
1 individual container of no sugar added applesauce
1/4 c. reduced fat Jif
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp. mini chocolate chips
Pinch of salt
1 packet Splenda (or other no-calorie sweetener)

Mix all of the ingredients together and form in to 12 cookies. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12 - 14 minutes. Store in the refrigerator if you don't eat immediately.

Calories 293, fat 13 g, carbs 28 g, protein 8 g, fiber 2 g, sodium 167 g



In hindsight, I would have used only half of the chocolate chips (1.5 tablespoons) to get a bit of the chocolate flavor, with a few less calories. Adding cocoa powder to the batter would make these taste a lot like no-bake cookies, and using a mashed ripe banana instead of applesauce would add some additional natural sweetness. Adding some walnuts or pecans would add a bit of crunch. There are plenty of variations!

What is your favorite on-the-go breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...