Saturday, October 1, 2011

5K Day

Me and 17,000 people ran/walked the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure today. Check this video out... pretty cool. They raised $1 million dollars through this Charlotte race alone (thanks, Mom for your donation!). It felt good to be running for such an important cause.



Between all the people, survivors, and supporters, and me realizing 'whoa, I am actually going to run a 5K,' I got emotional before the race.. I held back tears but I could hardly control them! It was pretty crazy - I have done a few 5K's before, but for some reason this one really just hit me.

On a less serious note, let's back up to earlier this morning. Of course, I did a pre-race photo shoot (please excuse the crazed look in my eyes - it was 7 AM), and ate a piece of peanut butter and banana toast for fuel!


Today was the day that I have been 'training' for for two months. My own personal couch to 5K program, and I am very proud to say that I did it. I finished the race in 40:50... my goal was to finish in 40 minutes or less and to walk as little as possible, so I got pretty close. I made it about 2.5 miles before I had to take a 1/2 song walk break. This was right at the very end after going up a killer hill. I got a cramp. But I saw that 3 mile flag and finished the race strong. I sprinted to the finish line so I could finish under 41 minutes. Not too bad for a first time 5K run.

I still can't believe I did it - I never thought in a million years that I would be able to run a 5K. Feels so good to have accomplished something I have worked so hard for.

My reward? A (free) pumpkin coffee from Dunkin' Donuts (I found a coupon) and a 4 hour drive to Atlanta... the 4 hour drive isn't so much a reward as it is a way to get to the reward! I get to spend the weekend with great friends (and Taylor Swift, NBD).

Speaking of, I better get moving or else I won't ever get on the road! I have a big day of shopping and eating ahead of me once I arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...