Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Faux-fredo pasta

I took the plunge people. I am now in to tofu - it's new for me.. but, I like it, and I want to eat it like all the time. It is now my preferred protein of choice at Asian restaurants. I decided to pop in to Harris Teeter after work today, and found the Tofu Shirataki Noodles with all the tofu and fake meat. They were pretty cheap (2 for $3.00) so I decided to buy a few packs and try it out!

I didn't have too much of an appetite this evening - I had a presentation to make for class, and my nerves kind of took over and I had a little snack prior (1/4 of a leftover black bean burger). It was like something clicked afterwards, I relaxed, and I was starving! With not a ton of points left, this was a great way to get a lot of food in my belly for just a few points plus.

Disclaimer: meal was prepared in bowl. Please excuse the grossness. And the random broccoli pieces. Its called: strainer economics.



Ok let me get to how I made this bowl o' low points, here is my intro to Shirataki Noodles recipe: Hungry Girl's Fettuccine Alfredo

Ingredients:
1 package House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Noodle Substitute
1 tsp. fat-free sour cream
2 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Use a strainer to rinse and drain shirataki noodles well. Pat dry. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave for 1 minute. Drain excess liquid. Dry as thoroughly as possible, using paper towels. Cut noodles up a bit, using kitchen shears if you've got 'em.

Add sour cream, grated topping, and cheese wedge, breaking cheese wedge into pieces as you add it. Microwave for 1 minute.

Stir well and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Nutrition Facts: 99 calories, 4g fat, 376mg sodium, 9.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 1g sugars, 5.5g protein -- PointsPlus value 2



I altered the recipe a bit to make it cheesier (duh. I love cheese). I added an extra half-tablespoon or so of light cream cheese, and I used light sour cream instead. In lieu of parm, I used 1 oz. of light mozzarella cheese. This upped the Points Plus value by 2 additional points, for a total of four. But my belly is full! So definitely worth it. You could get by without adding the additional cheese and it would still taste good. I would probably want to add the parm next time.

Have you ever had these noodles? Any other good uses for them? I think I am going to try a zucchini with red sauce with my spaghetti packet of noodles later this week... less points for noodles means more points available for cheeeeeseeee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...