Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mushroom Mac and Cheese - Lightened Up

I really enjoy cooking simple, healthy recipes... and I have quite a few in my repertoire.

One of my favorite (unhealthy) things to make is homemade macaroni and cheese, and I do admit I am pretty good at it... I think the lightened up version is good as well! I was craving some comfort food tonight and had all the fixin's, so I decided to make a mushroom version of lightened up mac and cheese. I must admit, this is one of the best recipes I have made - ever. While I fly by the seat of my pants in the kitchen and don't usually follow recipes, I will try and recreate this so you can try it at home!


This recipe is for one large serving... This recipe would also make a good sized portion as a side dish for two. I cooked everything in 'stages' in one medium sized pot.

1.5 Servings - Ronzoni Smart Taste Elbows
2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh Mushrooms, diced
Dash of olive oil
1 tbsp light butter
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 c. skim milk
Pinch of red pepper
Pinch of dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 oz. low-fat sharp cheddar cheese

Stage 1:

Cook pasta and drain. Set aside.

Stage 2:

Saute garlic and diced mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil on medium heat until cooked through. About 5 minutes. Set aside.

Stage 3:

Melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and combine. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Add skim milk. Cook over medium heat until it comes to a low boil, stirring constantly. Sauce will begin to thicken. If it doesn't, add more flour as needed. If it is too thick, add more milk as needed.

Add cooked mushrooms and garlic, stirring well. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add salt, pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard to taste.

Put cooked pasta in to sauce and combine until pasta is completely coated.

Stage 4:

Serve immediately and enjoy!


This is a really easy and filling recipe. I calculated 13 Weight Watchers Points Plus - you definitely get your 'bang for your buck' with this macaroni and cheese. It tastes really bad, but you are using lightened up ingredients!!

Let me know if you end up recreating and how you like it! There is enough sauce that comes out of this recipe, you could add additional veggies such as broccoli or asparagus, or add more pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So now that you've heard all of my thoughts, I want to hear yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...